As we have for many years, First Pres will be participating in New Haven’s efforts to make sure every resident has a Happy Thanksgiving. There are several opportunities for hands on service as well as donation.
Donations to First Presbyterian’s Thanksgiving Special Offering will be shared between:
- Christian Community Action’s Thanksgiving baskets effort,
- The Connecticut Food Bank’s essential, year long efforts to make sure people have food and
- FISH of Greater New Haven’s plan to provide a turkey and fixins’ to shut-ins (that’s Food In Service to the Homebound). Recently FISH spoke to adult ed about their special effort to serve their homebound clients at Thanksgiving. This is a new emphasis for FPC this year.
Your financial support is vital. Each year these and other programs run short as they try to bring joy to the holiday month.
There are also lots of opportunities for hands on participation.
- Saturday morning, November 17th, join Lynn Autry delivering Thanksgiving to shut-ins. Contact Lynn for details.
- Saturday, November 17 1-3 PM, Ralph Jones will be helping Christian Community Action pack Thanksgiving baskets. FPCNH has been asked to help out. The work will be at: Casa de Oración y Adoración, 555 Columbus Ave. Children are essential helpers in this effort. Please or let Ralph Jones know you’re planning to be there.
- In-kind gifts of turkeys are always needed. Other seasonal foods needed (in shelf stable packaging) include vegetables, fruit/dessert, beans, tuna, peanut butter, cereal, pasta, rice, mac and cheese, potato, stuffing, gravy, and soup. In addition to a turkey and fixins’, each of the CCA families will get a bag of root vegetables.
Please contact Lynn and or Ralph for details. Our Thanksgiving Special Offering goes to help make all this possible. Thank you.