A six week Sunday School series exploring ideas of gender in the Bible and Church.
The first week, adults will meet at 9:30 a.m. in the Miller Gathering Hall to discuss what gender is (and isn’t); the role and language of gender; and the power and effect of language. Children and youth ages 6+ will meet next door for a modified version of the class. From week 2 onward, these groups will be combined for inter-generational learning.
January 15, 2017 – Week 1 – Gender and Language
- What is gender (and what isn’t)?
- What is the language of gender?
- What is the role/power/effect of language?
January 22, 2017 – Week 2 – Gender and Scripture
- Golden Rule
- Lord’s Prayer
January 29, 2017 – Week 3 – Gender and God
- Does God have a gender?
- The Holy Spirit?
- If the Church is the Body of Christ, why wasn’t Jesus a woman?
February 5, 2017 – Week 4 – Gender and Church
- What does church look like from the lens of someone who is not gender-normative?
- Scriptural leaders who were not gender-normative: David (and Jonathan), Joseph (and his fabulous dress), the Marys on Easter.
- How do we welcome everyone?
- Is hospitality gendered?
February 12, 2017 – Week 5 – Gender, Church & World
- What is the role of the church in supporting all in the world?
- What does it mean to be a good man, a good woman, a good person?
- Is goodness gendered?
February 19, 2017 – Week 6 – So What Now?
- Action planning – self, church, local community, state, nation, world?